Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Even Swap

About three months ago we purchased some young Silver Sebright Bantam Chickens through Craigs List. The birds were nice, clean and well cared for. I thought they would have made a great 4-H project for my twin 10 year old girls.  I was not prepared for what occurred when the chickens finally arrived. My girls were afraid of them! The chickens were obviously not used to having children near or around their pen; they were flighty and made all kinds of racket, they were not at all like our Buff Orpingtons. Over time they settled down a bit but the girls still didn't like them. The purchase was costly $12 per chicken, and so we made the best out of a bad situation and turned them loose with the goats (Free Range - to an extent). The hen started laying last month and I was collecting her eggs and putting them into the incubator but none of the eggs have reached maturity so far (about 21 days) I noticed some of the other chickens started bullying our little Sebright Bantams and we decided it was time for them to go. I posted an Ad on Craigs list for $10 each and waited. Nothing Happened. This morning I took the ad down and edited it. This time the ad read for Sale or Trade. The ad wasn't even up 15 minutes before Jack called.  To make a long story a bit shorter He took all 3 of my Sebrights and every Sebright egg I had maturing in the incubator and I got 4 Altex does for my rabbitry.  It was a good trade and we both walked away from the deal happy.  The only downside, I have to get my husband to build more hutches on his next day off.   The rabbits are fine temporarily in the 3 tier cage on my back porch but that's not an optimum situation.  So if you count Luther who's currently "In Service" at my friend Cassie's house, I'm up to 10! I only need a few more to get things started off just right!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Harvest Time

Harvest Time